Friday, October 9, 2015

Danish Pastries, Parishes, and People


Copenhagen, Denmark
About twelve years ago, I started researching my maternal Danish line (after some serious prompting from my Grandpa Larsen). Starting with my Grandpa's ancestor who joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormon), I started to link families.  This week, after finding a screaming deal on plane tickets to Denmark, I went to the actual place where it all began. While in Copenhagen, I googled the parish name and came up with this church in Brarup and an address.


My honey and I drove down to southern Denmark and found this beautiful church built in the 1100s!

 
 
 
 


 
 
The door was locked, so we walked around the beautiful grounds. Then I noticed across the street a cute little house with this phone booth. (Was I in Denmark or England?)
Behind the greenery is a little basket of apples left for visitors to the phone booth.

I went to the door of the house, and in spite of several "BEWARE OF DOG" signs, I boldly knocked. A cute lady answered, pushing large dogs out of the way with her foot. I asked if she knew when the church was open. She gave the perfect answer: "I have a key!"
 
 The very tall part is the bell tower and they rang while we were in the church! Special thanks go to my chauffeur, photographer, and eternal travel companion.
Her husband, the caretaker, let us in. I was surprised at the rush of emotion that came over me. My hands were shaking, and my heart was pounding. Here was the place that so many of my ancestors, whom I had done temple work for, had been christened, married, and buried.
I love the painted frescoes right on the plaster walls. To the left is the baptism bowl where babies would be christened.
 
This was an original wooden cross dating back to 1100 on the wall.
 
The pastor preaches from this pulpit. Sunday services are still held in this church. Although the caretaker said few Danes attend church.

We then asked if we could see church records. He said they were closed and the office would be closed the next day as well. So we asked if he knew of a place we could stay. He said, "Follow me," and drove us to the most charming bed and breakfast about a kilometer down the road:

 
Albertsgaard Bed and Breakfast, Brarup, Denmark
 
 
The cottage came complete with thatched roof! Both this cottage and the big main house were built in the 1820s and restored. So this is what it would have looked like in my ancestor's time. At this point, I had felt a great payoff for my temple work, and if the church was what I was able to see, I was content. But when our cute host named Jytte, (sounds like Utah), saw my fistful of genealogy papers, she offered to help. When we told her the archive office was closed, she said, " I know the woman who works there. I will call and get you an appointment! I will talk her into opening it just for you!" And she did.
 
While we waited for our appointment, we looked for a neighboring parish where more of my ancestors had been christened. A Danish fog had settled in and we couldn't find the Kippinge church, but stumbled across one in Vaalse. We walked around the burial grounds, and I recognized these names! I had done the temple work for them, and remarkably, I had printed this family group sheet off and had them with me:
 



 
Throughout my journey, I had prayed that if I was supposed to find something, that I would find it, and that I would be led to where I needed to be. I didn't know what was to come next. My husband took a picture with his camera, and then, took a picture with his cell phone.
 
Elsa, our wonderful guide at the Archives, bubbled with excitement that we had come to Denmark to find our people. She told us she had journeyed to America for the same reason. She told us of the excitement she felt when she stood in Iowa and Chicago in the footsteps of her ancestors. I told her of my excitement to be in the parish church where my ancestors had stood. Elsa stands all of 5' but has a super-sized serving of the spirit of Elijah!
 
She brought us the Brarup records ledger and we started to look for Mathias Christensen Boge, the father of my ancestor, Mattias Mattiasen, who joined the church. At this point, my husband showed Elsa the pictures on his cell phone of the grave markers shown above. She put her hand over her mouth in shock. "Those are the names of my friend's parents and grandparents! She also works at these Archives. I will call her. She just got back yesterday from Thailand, but she will be upset if I don't call and tell her relatives from America are here!"
 
In about twenty minutes, we met Kate Jensen, my cousin! We both share Mattias Christensen Boge and Kirsten Hansen as great-great-great-great-great grandparents. In yet another tender mercy, I had printed off exactly the sheets that would show her connection to this ancestor, and her connection to me. Kate was very tired from jet lag, but had jumped at the chance to meet family. When Elsa had been unsuccessful in reaching her by phone, she went the extra mile and called Kate's husband at work. He had left work, driven home, and awakened his wife for her to meet us!
 
Kate also has the spirit of Elijah. As we looked at the records, I showed her Matthias Christensen Boge's death record.




I showed her how Kirsten had lost two sons, one as an infant, and one at age 4, and her husband, Matthias Christensen Boge, in one year. When I first started doing the research, I had discovered this and drew strength from this primary research. I started to understand why I was to do family history at that point in my busy life. My husband was a new bishop, and the Lord wanted me to have the opportunity to have spiritual experiences and draw strength from my ancestors while my husband was busy having spiritual experiences. I realized that my life wasn't that hard, in comparison.
 
As we looked at the records, "Cousin Kate" read in Danish the name of the farm that the family came from. She looked at me in excitement. "That farm is a big beautiful farm, and I can take you there right now!"
 
 

 

Here we are together in front of the ancestral farm. Just behind the home is the ocean. My ancestor, Mattias Mathiassen left one of the prettiest places in Denmark to join the Church. He left his parents and 13 brothers and sisters. But I am bringing them back together now.
 
Kate and I are kindred spirits! As we drove around and saw her beautiful home, she invited us to stay the next time we came to Denmark. She told me she is writing the history of her grandmother's family. I have now given her the records for her grandfather's family. She didn't know she lived three kilometers from his family farm. She said, "It is so important to share our ancestor's stories with our children." For information on the importance of family stories, click here: https://www.lds.org/callings/temple-and-family-history/sunday-lesson/stories-that-bind?lang=eng
 

Kate helped us find the Kippinge parish church built in the 1500s.
  
I helped her sign up for FamilySearch.org. She has already emailed me, looking for more information on Matthias Christensen Boge. Together we will find his parents, I am sure.  Kate has information on her grandparent's siblings that I had not been able to find. Most importantly, she said, "I have many dreams about my ancestors. They are very close to me. They want me to do something for them."
FamilySearch.org (Click here to start an exciting journey)
 
President Thomas S, Monson often says, “There are no coincidences” as he makes the point that his experiences in life have taught him to always look for the Lord’s hand." As I write this, I have come to realize that my Grandfather Larsen was with me throughout this journey of tender mercies. I believe he has taught these ancestors that stayed in Denmark the gospel, and they are ready for their temple work. I'm hurrying, Grandpa.



Copenhagen Denmark Temple
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! Love you for all this special work you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing! Love you for all this special work you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lor - you are amazing! While I was reading your experiences, the spirit caught me off guard and I began to cry. What a fabulous trip! Can't wait to hear more about it. Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome, Lori! So happy to see all of the amazing work you're doing. Let me know what I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete