Now that I am older, I am seeing a few advantages to having younger siblings. While growing up changing diapers, looking for the binky or blanket to stop the screaming of one of those siblings, I was certain there were no pros to being a big sister. However, I no longer have young children, and when I want to do things kids like to do, I just borrow my siblings' children. I'm not their mother so I don't have to make them floss their teeth or eat nutritious food at my house. Chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast are okay. Playing card games until midnight is also allowed. What are their parents going to do? Fire me as a free babysitter/aunt of the year? Disclaimer: I am still a responsible adult and take good care of my siblings' kidlets.
Some of our adventures:
- Screaming as we ran around inside East High after going to U of U Gymnastics (Location of "High School Musical" if you are really out of it. Ask Tris for more info.)
- Flying one morning to Cali, getting on the wrong bus, exploring every inch of the Long Beach Aquarium after getting on the right bus, eating dinner at the airport while watching the planes land and take off, and flying home that night---beat that any of you wannnabe aunts of the year!
- Walking my dog, Lucy. Oh, the love that was showered on our family pooch. The magic of spending time with an eight-year-old is that simple things become magical.
- Going to the Church Museum---it is so much more interesting to share with a child. One loved the children's tea set that crossed the plains; one loved every single thing. "Did we see everything?" Tay-Tay asked as we left. I thought the same thing.
- Walking through Thanksgiving Point flower gardens on a summer night. The picture on my cell phone of a beautiful flower is there because my niece Nia taught me how to use the camera on the phone.
- Reading books together. Usually after a long walk with Lucy. Knowing all the places they will go if they love books as much as I do. Giving them hand-me-down books my girls read and loved.
- Hiking Rock Canyon. Crossing the river is more fun if someone is holding your hand.
- Dancing at the Symphony. Watching Jazzy dance at the Symphony. The outdoor symphony in the summertime. Lying on a blanket with lots of licorice and candy around. Watching the fireworks afterwards. Really, the only way to do the symphony. Even if you are a Humanities major.
- Playing card games. Here I confess some bias. We play "Authors." If you don't know that game, you must not be an English nerd. Of course, it is my fault that Tay -Tay and Nia know the titles of Louisa Alcott and Edgar Allan Poe.
- Attending the Theatre. Well, the high school version of Peter Pan may not be serious theatre but still is a lot of fun when JC laughs at all the jokes.


My mother also steals other people's children. Not from her siblings, but from neighbors or people in the ward. She is always at Chuck E. Cheese. She, as you must be, is excited for when she has grandchildren. Although, of course, only through the correct timetable...
ReplyDelete